Master of Architecture (MArch)
The Master of Architecture Program (MArch) is a 2-year graduate program offered by the UP College of Architecture. The program provides opportunities for advancement in the field of architecture through professional and scholarly endeavours.
The MArch degree calls on the architects to examine, critique and innovate specific parts of Architecture in order to improve the practice and discipline of Architecture. Course work and research activities are designed for a deeper understanding of the planning, design, and construction processes for humans and their environment towards collaborative action for a broader involvement in the country’s cultural and technological development in the context of global issues and trends. By instituting continuous study and research of Architecture as a form of professional practice, the MArch links the academe responsively with the needs of society, industry, practitioners and the Architecture network.
An updated two-year program that is significantly reconfigured to incorporate new design and design policy-making practice, innovative design conceptualization processes, emergent industry needs.
Eligibility and Admission Requirements
The MArch Program is primarily open to undergraduate Architecture degree holders. Applicants are encouraged to go on a full-time program. Applicanst must satisfy the requirements set by the University for application and admission. Additional requirements may be prescribed by the UPCA.
The minimum requirements for admission into the UPCA IGP are the following:
- • high intellectual capacity;
- • language proficiency; and
- • submission/satisfaction of other program specific requirements.
Proof of English and/or Filipino proficiency shall be required of students whose native language is not English or Filipino, except those who graduated from institutions where the medium of instruction is English or Filipino. For English proficiency, a score of at least 500 in the paper-based, or at least 173 in the computer-based, or at least 61 in the internet-based (iBT) forms of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or at least a score of 5.5 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or a certification from a duly authorized unit of the University shall be required.
Foreign student applicants shall conform to other requirements for study in the Philippines based on University rules.
Each applicant shall further submit the following college-level requirements:
- • a duly accomplished application form;
- • one original and one photocopy copy of the official transcript of records (for undergraduate and graduate degrees);
- • certificate of General Weighted Average (GWA);
- • photocopy of Degree Diploma/s or equivalent document as proof of completion of degree requirements;
- • recommendations from two (2) former professors or experts in the field in which the student is applying for;
- • four (4) 35 x 45 mm pictures;
- • curriculum vitae;
- • one original and one photocopy of PSA/NSO birth certificate (and marriage certificate, if applicable);
- • for a foreign student applicant, one certified true copy of the official passport with the certification undertaken by the applicant’s embassy;
- • payment of PHP 1000.00 application fee for resident applicants or USD 25.00 for foreign non-resident applicants; and
- • other special admission requirements that may be imposed by the University or the UPCA IGP.
University Admission Requirements
Once accepted into the program, the applicant shall further submit the following requirements for university-level admissions:
- • Certificate of Honorable Dismissal from the applicant’s latest previously-attended academic institution, if not a graduate from the University of the Philippines;
- • Duly accomplished Student Directory Form (with photo);
- • Duly accomplished Program of Study affixed with signature and published in non-editable format (pdf); and
- • Certificate of compliance with the Pre-enrollment Health Assessment (PEHA) from the UP Diliman Health Service, upon issuance of College Admission Slip (CAS).
All authentication required of submitted documents will be done by the UP Diliman Office of the University Registrar (OUR).
Course Specific Requirements
The program specific requirement for admission into the MArch program are:
- • BS Architecture or B Architecture degree from a recognized institution of higher learning; and
- • a handwritten essay on two (2) research interests and their research plans (one page per research interest and research plan).
Program of Study – Schematic Diagram